5 reasons why Paris Hilton made news in Dubai
From skimpy clothes to mobile phones, the media gobbled it all.
June 25, 2009 12:30 by Aarti Nagraj
Socialite heiress Paris Hilton is in every newspaper in Dubai. Hilton is in the emirate filming the Dubai version of her reality TV show Paris Hilton’s My New BFF (Best Friend Forever), but she has been making headlines for everything apart from the show. The media are trying to milk as much news as possible from her visit; and of course, Hilton doesn’t seem to mind.
1. UK-based newspaper The Daily Express reported that Hilton was shocked after her security personnel found hidden recording devices during a routine check of her hotel room in Dubai. “It was some sort of transmitter by all accounts. We’re not sure what the device picked up or whom it was transmitting to. But it did leave Paris very jittery,” a source told the newspaper.
“Another rumor to clear up – my hotel room is not bugged with listening devices and hidden cameras, another LIE created by the media. Dumb,” Hilton later clarified on her Twitter account.
2. Paris Hilton posed for a bikini shoot in Dubai despite a ban by her show’s production company, said another UK-based newspaper The Mirror.
“Paris had made a big public speech, saying how much she loved the Middle East and respected its culture,” a source told the daily. “But the following day she was prancing around on the beach in her bikini and posing provocatively.”
“One of my friends just called me from back home and asked if I got in trouble for wearing a bikini at the beach here and once again – FALSE,” Hilton later wrote on Twitter. “So to the people who started that rumor, check your facts, cause you obviously don’t know what your talking about.”
3. On June 24, at a VIP reception organized for Hilton at Wafi’s Salam store, the heiress walked in nearly three hours late, reports Xpress. “I could well have gone to Grand Cinestar, watched a movie and come back,” one of the guests told the paper.
4. Hilton’s constant tweeting now has regional papers asking media analysts whether she is giving Dubai good publicity.
Some of the famous postings so far: photos of herself enjoying a camel ride, going skiing at Ski Dubai and swimming with dolphins.
5. Hilton said she dumped her BlackBerry phone for a Sony Ericsson handset since the latter is sponsoring her reality TV show in Dubai. She was given five Sony Ericsson handsets. “One is even like a watch with a phone on it and it’s so cool,” she said.