Souq.com expects to double its sales during this year’s annual event, compared with its 2014 editionNovember 25, 2015 9:59
Attack in India
More than 100 people have been killed in terrorist attacks in Mumbai. Even as the city grapples with the situation in hand, it will soon have to convince the world that it is a safe place to visit.
November 27, 2008 2:29 by kippreport
It has been a tragic day for the city of Mumbai, India. More than 100 people have been killed, and at least 287 injured in a series of well-coordinated terrorist attacks in the city. The gunmen reportedly arrived by boats in the city on Wednesday, before attacking luxury hotels, a landmark cafe, hospitals and a railway station.
The Mumbai stock exchange, BSE, schools and several companies across the city were shut down for the day.
The assault started late on Wednesday night, and according to reports, soldiers and militants are still exchanging intermittent fire as several people are trapped inside rooms of the Taj Mahal hotel, a 105-year-old city landmark, and the Trident hotel.
“It’s difficult to say how long we will take to get the situation under control. But I’m positive that things are under control and no further damage is expected,” the director general of the National Security Guard, Jyoti Krishan Dutt told news channel CNN-IBN.
So far, at least 14 policemen have been killed, including the head of the state Anti-Terror Squad. More than 800 army personnel have been deployed at various locations in Mumbai.
The Maharashtra State government has announced Rs5 lakh ($10,190) compensation for those killed and Rs50,000 ($1,019) for those seriously injured in the attacks.
According to reports, five terrorists have been killed, two have escaped and nine have been arrested. An unknown organization called the Deccan Mujahideen has taken the responsibility for the terror attacks.
“Gunmen wanted anyone with British or American passport,” an eye-witness told news channel NDTV.
A statement which is bound to sound worrying to the country. Currently, Lufthansa, Northwest and Air France have cancelled their flights, and hotels in Mumbai have been asked not to take new guests.
But after the crisis is over, the country will have to find answers for its tourists; most of the media have depicted the attack as specifically targeting foreigners. India has been promoting itself vigorously in the last few years,and with several big companies opening bases in the country, India will have to prove to the world that it is secure and safe for tourists and foreign residents.-AN
Update- The battle is finally over. At least 183 people have been killed in the attacks.