AUS vs. AUD
Kipp pits two of the UAE’s American universities against each other.
American University of Sharjah (AUS)
Founded in 1997 by Sheikh Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qassimi, member of the Supreme Council of the UAE and ruler of Sharjah, AUS is a not-for-profit organization. According to the university’s website, AUS’s curriculums are based on American curriculums, but are also influenced by Arab culture.
It’s only been around for 12 years, it’s too young to have a history. Score: 2.
The following the is university’s mission statement:
1. Science and education must regain their rightful place in the advancement of our society and in shaping the lives of our children.
2. The purpose of higher education is to reshape the minds of our youth in order for them to address personal and social challenges using the scientific method.
3. AUS must be a center of research for solving the problems faced by society.
4. AUS will have the autonomy and freedom needed to flourish as an independent university.
5. AUS must be organically linked with the economic, cultural and industrial sectors of society in productive cooperation.
Very admirable. And since there’s no talk of ‘vision’ or the university being ‘iconic’, we approve. Score: 9
AUS offers 21 bachelor’s degrees, 41 minors and 13 master’s degrees. That may not seem like much to those who have studied abroad, but for the UAE it’s a wealth of offerings. Score: 8
Tuition fees for the 2009-2010 academic year is AED36, 610 per semester, or AED73, 220 per year. Considering that tuition fees at the University of Cambridge start from AED53,035, we feel AUS’s feel are astronomical. Score: 1
We haven’t visited AUS’s campus long enough to know what student life is really like, but if the university’s website is anything to go by, it can be stifled by AUS’s moral codes. There’s even a Judicial Affairs department that educates students on the university’s moral code (and a form on the website called Certificate of Good Moral Character). If they break it, they can face serious consequences. It sounds a bit harsh to us. Score: 1
Final score: 21
The Ultimate Showdown: Z10 VS S3
Battle of the social: Google vs. Facebook
TABLET WARS: iPad 3 vs. Acer Iconia Tab A700
Dubai Summer Surprises vs. Summer in Abu Dhabi
The ultimate showdown: Samsung smartphones vs. iPhone