We would like to invite you to continue a survey you have started. ...

Do you trust your insurer ?

Strongly agree
Strongly disagree
Insurance provides peace of mind
Insurance is purchased only when compulsory
Terms and Conditions (small print) are clear and easily accessible
Insurance jargon (language) stands in the way of fully understanding each policy
Insurance companies try their best to uphold the details of the policy without cutting corners
Reducing risk, cutting costs and profits are more important to an insurance company than the customer
Insurance companies in the region are as professional as in other more developed markets
Age group
Do you feel your insurance provider works in your interest?
Have you had a rejected claim that you feel was not justified?
Do you trust your insurance provider?
Our Network

Register for our free newsletter

Latest News

Deep in debt

Deep in debt

Istithmar World may have borrowed up to 90 percent of the money it used to buy stakes in companies worldwide.


September 14, 2009 10:21 by

Government-owned investment firm Istithmar World financed a global shopping spree worth $27 billion with money it borrowed from banks, reports Bloomberg, citing sources who were briefed on the firm’s dealings. The firm reportedly paid only $2.5 billion out of its own pocket.

Dubai World, Istithmar’s parent company, fuelled the investment firm’s purchases with credit secured from both Middle Eastern and European banks. Barclays Plc, Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc and Deutsche Bank AG combined are owed a minimum of $1.5 billion, sources told Bloomberg.

Unlike Abu Dhabi and Doha sovereign wealth funds, which are financed by oil and gas revenues, “Dubai sovereign wealth funds are leveraged like private equity funds,” said Rachel Ziemba, a senior analyst at Roubini Global Economics, a New York- based economic research firm. “Istithmar belongs to a parent company with a significant amount of debt coming due.”

The firm reportedly financed 75 percent of purchases with non-recourse bank loans; it remaining 25 percent was made up of its own money and credit from banks on a term-loan basis backed by either the firm or its parent company.

Pages: 1 2


Tags: , , , , ,

1 Comment

  1. Nick on December 6, 2009 9:30 am

    So the plane will reach its destination more quickly? Is ‘crashing down’ quickly enough?


Leave a Comment