Souq.com expects to double its sales during this year’s annual event, compared with its 2014 editionNovember 25, 2015 9:59
Lost in Dubai? Not with the new Makani app
Location application Makani goes into final stages of production
August 3, 2014 4:49 by kippreport
Makani, a new mapping system application and the brainchild of the Dubai Municipality, is said to be in the final stages of completion.
The application, which is already available for smartphones on Google Play and the iTunes store, aims to be accurate up to one metre. It can also be used on tablets, desktops and laptops, as well as on GPS devices due to an auto-conversion feature.
Makani, an Arabic word that literally translates to ‘my location’ or ‘my place’, uses a ten-digit number (Makani number) to locate an address anywhere in the city. Along with the Makani number, the application makes use of the UAE National Grid for more precise navigation.
In addition, the Makani number can be obtained through the application by inserting your address in its traditional format, using area name, street number and villa or building number – it will then provide the ten digit number that can be used to search for specific directions.
Other features include:
1. The application can identify public institutions, such as hospitals and healthcare services, educational institutions, local landmarks and government organisations nearest to you
2. Precise location details, which are accurate to the coordinate, can be shared with other user
3. Makani number can be added to the contact information of an individual on your smartphon
4. Turn-by-turn voice navigation
5. Regularly updated traffic information for the main roads in the city