Your life just got a whole lot easierJuly 26, 2015 8:55
Right to reply: DSF
Not long ago we wrote an article on the Dubai Shopping Festival. We are happy to give the Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment the opportunity to respond.
March 6, 2011 2:51 by Samuel Potter
The Dubai Events and Promotions Establishment, an Agency of Dubai Department of Economic Development, wishes to thank Kipp Report on their interest in Dubai Shopping Festival, however, we would like to clarify some of the main points mentioned in the “Kipp has sour DSF grapes” article published on 21st February:
• First and foremost, we were surprised that a reputable website such as “Kipp Report” would run such a story without calling the concerned parties, namely DEPE, to add a comment on it instead of running a one sided article with some grand misconceptions.
• In order to qualify for the DSF 2011 Journalism and Photography award you simply have to apply for it first, which “Kipp Report” didn’t do. The application form was on our website www.mydsf.ae , and accessible to all interested.
• The DEPE Media Centre is committed to accepting all submitted articles as long as it fulfils the terms and conditions mentioned on the application form, which DOES NOT include any restrictions on the content, negative or positive.
• All entries are viewed by a reputable jury that consists of highly regarded individuals that are either college professors of renowned Universities in the fields of Journalism and Communications, and/or professional journalists that have long standing years of experience in journalism, including the head of the jury who has been in this field for more than 40 years and is a well respected Journalist across the Middle East (names and contact details of the Jury can be provided for “Kipp Report” to confirm this claim). Hence, we really do feel that the questioning of the awards and the sarcasm note in the article was totally out of place and lacks tactfulness, noting at the same time that the awards are presented in the name of Government of Dubai, which is a firm attestation of its integrity and quality as all other awards of the Dubai Government.
• If the writer of the article did a bit more effort on the research side, she would have diffidently noted that our CEO and Deputy CEO have acknowledged on several occasions that the regional unrest was a major factor in diverting more tourists to Dubai and the UAE, however, they also stated that Dubai was always a main destination during this period of the year, Tourism industry stats and figures show Dubai as one of the leading options for tourists/transit visitors between November and March.
• Dubai Shopping Festival is a unique event in the sense that it is the only known event in the world that lasts for more than a month and combines Shopping, Winning and Family Entertainment, it presents more than 150 local and international events in 32 days, offers discounts and promotions in more than 6000 participating outlets across around 40 shopping malls in Dubai, and directly and indirectly touches on various vital economic sectors in the City, including Hospitality, Tourism and retail sectors. With an event of such magnitude and stature, fallouts and mistakes are bound to happen, and we have never turned a blind eye for any negative comments or reports communicated to us through the local and international Media that covers the event, as long as its constructive and based on facts, which we feel that the Kipp Report article fundamentally lacked on both.