Because we know it’s easier said than doneMay 28, 2015 9:53
Ring out the old
SIM card re-registration campaign enters fifth phase
September 2, 2013 2:54 by kippreport
The nationwide ‘My Number, My Identity’ campaign has successfully entered its fifth phase on schedule, according to a statement by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA).
Launched in July 2012, the drive requires all mobile customers in the UAE to re-register their SIM cards over a period of 18 months, or risk having their numbers permanently disconnected.
The campaign as a whole, according to TRA, is intended to “ultimately protect subscribers from misuse or confidentiality infringement”.
So far, 12 million mobile phone users have updated their details, according to figures by TRA, while telecom providers du and Etisalat have suspended approximately three million accounts that were not re-registered. Suspended cards will no longer be able to make calls or send messages, but may still receive both.
As of today, Etisalat and du will target approximately four million subscribers that remain unconfirmed, during the final stages of the initiative.
“The campaign focuses on the procedures that will be taken by TRA in order to ensure the transparency in dealing with mobile subscribers and protecting their privacy, if misuse occurs by users who use mobile services [that are] not registered under their names,” says H.E. Mohamed Nasser Al Ghanim, director general of TRA.
He also called on telecom operators to add more facilities that guarantee a smooth re-registration process, such as increasing the number of registration venues and providing online services.