Kippreport gets insights from Mike Belk, CEO and president of Daimler Middle East and LevantMarch 26, 2015 12:02
The Palm’s Qualms
After a few troubled years, the lonely hotels on The Palm are finally getting some company and healthy competition from four other 5-Star hotels soon to set up shop on the island.
January 17, 2012 3:48 by Eva Fernandes
Kipp’s old work station had a great view of the Palm Jumeirah. Up on the 24th floor, aided by the binoculars provided by a rather creepy stalker colleague, looking at the Palm was one of our favorite ways to take a break. Though we’ve waxed poetic with our criticism of man-made islands before; hype and cynicism aside, an aerial view of the Palm is quite something.
In spite of all this The Palm has definitely failed at being a haven of luxury hotels as those selling the island back a decade ago had promised. Initially, the plan was to have thirty or so 5-stars hotels operating on the Palm-but for the longest time, the only hotel the Palm could boast of was the Atlantis. Slowly the tides (no pun intended) did turn, and the One & Only opened its doors on the Palm 2010, to be followed closely by The Zabeel Saray (the set for a scene in Mission Impossible 4) and later the Kempinski hotel.
With four hotels in the bag, things are surely looking up for The Palm. In fact that number could almost double this year, considering the status of four other developments on the Palm. Why the change? Well nobody put it better than Chiheb ben Mahmoud, the head of hotel advisory at Jones Lang LaSalle Hotels MENA, who said: “With all the other iconic mega-projects on hold, Palm Jumeirah is at the forefront of the marketing of Dubai as a destination. The potential of the micro-destination is substantial.”
In this article we take you through some of the potential projects to be opened this year or thereabout, on The Palm Jumeirah.The Rixos
This luxury hotel will be opening its doors to the public later this month. The Rixos on the Palm Jumeirah consists 204 rooms. Apparently, the indoor area of the hotel covers only 30 percent of the hotels property. The remaining 70 percent will comprise of the gardens and the beach. The Rixos will also contain 33 residential apartments. For those not familiar with the brand, the Rixos luxury hotel concept was first launched in 2000, in Antalya, Turkey.
So what will a night at the Rixos cost you? Check it out:
Deluxe Room: Dh 2,600.00
Junior Suite: Dh 3,385.00
Senior Suite: Dh 6,250.00 Al Habtoor Hilton’s Waldorf Astoria on the Palm:
Some predict the Waldorf Astoria on the Palm will open late next year—and though this delay may seem considerable, it is surely good news for the hotel. Al Habtoor’s billion-dirham project began with gusto in 2007 only to be put on a not-so-temporary hold in 2008 due to the economic slowdown. Then late last year, Al Habtoor announced plans to restart the construction with news that the 324-room project will be managed under the Waldorf Astoria brand.
While no local room rates are available, a room at the Waldorf Astoria in New York can set you back up to 2,900AED for a suite per night.
Another victim of the rough financial crisis, the Fairmont Palm Jumeirah missed its completion date by at least two years.
A year ago, Fairmont president Tom Storey told the press that the company was “finding it hard to gain finance in the souring debt markets…The problem is our partners in that venture are having financing challenges just like everyone else. So it’s hard to know when it will be built.” The Fairmont Palm, set to open this year will comprise of 381 rooms including Queen, King, King Suite Gold, VIP Suites, Presidential Suites and the Fairmont Gold Lounge. Though we can’t find potential price listings, judging by another Fairmont in Dubai, a night at the hotel isn’t likely to cost you less than Dh1,400.
Although some websites still date the opening of The Royal Amwaj under 2010, the hotel is finally set to open its doors on its hotel on the Palm later on this year. Gerard Hotelier, vice president operations- Middle East, Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, confirmed this: “Located on the crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, the 293-room, six restaurant destination Royal Amwaj Resort & Spa is truly a stunning resort with the serenity and exclusivity of an island retreat, yet offering the benefits of Dubai.”