Register for our free newsletter

Latest News

Third of Arab lives spent consuming media

Third of Arab lives spent consuming media

A recent survey conducted by IPSOS reveals that Arabs spend a third of their lives consuming media. Hopefully most of that time with Kipp.

November 24, 2010 3:38 by

When you settle down into a nine-to-five routine, day in, day out, the days do seem to bleed into each other. And, before you know it, your life resembles the opening lines of the Pink Floyd classic, Time: “Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way.”

Which is why surveys that study the ways in which people “fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way” are both interesting (especially if you can capitalize on those findings) and a little depressing (let’s face it, we all need to get out more).

IPSOS MENA recently conducted such a survey in the MENA region, and the findings are anything from heart-warming: Apparently, Arabs spend a third of their lives consuming media.

The survey, which focused on people from Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE, found that Arab people spend 8 hours of their days consuming media of some sort. According to the study, Arabs spend 4 hours a day watching TV, 90 minutes using their mobiles, surprisingly only one hour browsing the internet, and the remaining 90 minutes of media consumption are devoted to print, radio, and video games.

The study also found there to be an increased usage and importance of social media in the Arab world (there should be a prize for stating the obvious, thinks Kipp). More than 32 percent of Arabs have at least one active account on an online social network site, and there is a significant preference for using English networking sites. A whopping 96 percent of social networking Arabs use English network sites like Facebook and Twitter, which leaves just 4 percent of the users using Arabic social media only.

Kipp feels the need to say, we don’t find these findings particularly shocking, nor are they a symbol of the detrimental erosion of culture because of an imperialist influence: significant Arab users either use Arabic script, or Arabic written in Latin script, on Facebook and Twitter. The sites are English, the contents don’t need to be.

Anyway, a third of your life consuming media? Once again, we are haunted by Pink Floyd: “And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.” So get out there and get living your life (after you finish reading Kipp, of course).

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Comment