Put on your seatbelts, here we goJune 23, 2015 9:00
Top five ways to stay healthy this summer
Burjeel Hospital diagnoses the five most common health problems during the summer
August 17, 2014 5:48 by kippreport
As Dubai’s summer temperature rises, so too do the amount of health problems. Burjeel Hospital diagnoses the five most common health problems during the summer, plus tips on how you can avoid them.
1. Dehydration: Dehydration can happen quickly and suddenly during summer. To avoid, drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
2. Heat stroke: Heat stroke is a very serious condition that is characterized by high body temperature, confusion, short rapid breathing, sweating and a fast pulse. To avoid heat stroke, stay out of the sun, especially the midday sun.
3. Food poisoning: If food is not well protected, refrigerated properly and kept away from the sun, it can cause food poisoning. To avoid, follow storage instructions correctly.
4. Eye damage: The heat can cause dry, irritable eyes. To avoid this, always wear sunglasses.
5. Sunburn: People with less melanin (people with light skin colour) tend to suffer from sunburn the most, however those with darker skin colour can also be susceptible. To avoid sunburn during the summer, it is essential to use sunscreen before being exposed to the sun. Afterwards, use an after-sun moisturizing lotion.
According to Prof. Dr. Elham Abd El Zaher, consultant of dermatology and venereology at Abu Dhabi’s Burjeel Hospital, there are many things that you can do to stay healthy during the summer months, including: drinking lots of fluids, especially water, wearing very light clothes, taking regular showers, avoiding the sun during peak hours (10am t 4pm) and eating healthy foods.