Who’ll be hung out to dry?
Saudi detains 40 people in connection with the flood in Jeddah in November, reports Arab News.
December 28, 2009 10:14 by Muhammad Humaidan
Sources would not say whether the officials under detention were “accused” and pointed out that their detention was essential in completing the investigation. They could not say whether the officials would be released on bail. However, they said the booked officials would not be allowed to leave the Kingdom until investigations are completed.
Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah told Kuwait’s Asseyassah Arabic daily on Saturday that the government would not show any leniency to officials responsible for the catastrophe. “We have to identify those officials and hold them responsible. We’ll not show any leniency to any official who has been negligent in this matter,” the king said.
An official close to the committee said it was continuing its work on the instructions of King Abdullah to take officials responsible to task. The committee, which is chaired by Makkah Gov. Prince Khaled al-Faisal, includes Prince Abdullah bin Fahd bin Muhammad, deputy governor of Makkah for security affairs; Abdul Aziz al-Khodairy, undersecretary at the governorate; Saleh al-Ali, head of the Supervision and Investigation Bureau; Lt. Gen. Saad al-Tuwaijeri, director general of Civil Defense; and Maj. Gen. Abdullah al-Qarni, director of intelligence in the Makkah province.
The committee had earlier conducted an aerial survey of the affected areas and recorded eyewitness accounts of the flash floods. The panel has also given people an e-mail address to submit their opinions and proposals.
Pages: 1 2