Register for our free newsletter

Latest News

Dubai property owners to get free legal advice

The Dubai Land Department announced on Monday an initiative to give property owners free legal advice…

November 2, 2009 1:32 by

The Dubai Land Department announced on Monday an initiative to give property owners free legal advice.

The authority has signed on a number of law firms to join the Legal Care Group, which is being set up to guide investors who have “genuine real estate issues”, but were dissuaded to file cases against their developers due to the court’s hefty legal fees.

Mohammed Sultan Thani, assistant director general of the Dubai Land Department, said: “The objective of this initiative is not merely to meet a need but to ensure fairness and justice is available to anyone who might have a concern which involves property, no matter their circumstances.”

“This reflects the government’s commitment to ensuring there is in place a comprehensive equitable system of legalizing ownership and property transactions.”

He added: “Now, no one is prevented from pursuing their rights merely because of the possibility they might be priced out of the legal system.”

Tags: , , ,

9 Comments

1. jameel on November 2, 2009 7:03 pm

let’s hope so that the lawyer’s do not abuse this facelity by catching clients and later on charging them . I hope this is a free service and not another money making scam.

2. rb on November 3, 2009 7:36 am

This is a very good initiative & will permit large no of investors to take actiion against developers who ae holding millions in ‘projects ‘ not started . eg IMAGE RESIDENCES BY AL FARAA PROPERTIES , VICTORY BAY , DEYAAR PROJECTS AT JEBEL ALI DOWNTOWN ETC..

These developers are not declaring their projects as cancelled as they have to then refund investors funds , but are holding the funds since 1-2 years or in some cases askign investors to transfer their funds to their other projects.

RERA should immediately publish list of such ‘cancelled ‘ projects as per their announcment in June 2009, so invesotors can claim full refunds.

in case of above projects no construction has started even 18 -24 months afrer launch.

3. Hani Zaitoun on November 3, 2009 9:09 am

Any initiative is welcomed if it adds value and provides trust to the existing investors. The idea of a regulatory body is to have policies and procedures that protect investors, owners, tenants and landlords from abuse and fraud.

We already have the escrow account, why no one is talking about it anymore, why money is not being refunded if buyers do not want to proceed or projects are cancelled ? Where is the money ? Transparency of costs for shared facilities, maintenance etc..

Come on they need to do more than this really and quickly before everybody loses faith in the this.

4. Omar on November 3, 2009 1:22 pm

I agree with rb above. The examples he / she sites are important. I am an investor with Al Faraa Properties – Image Residences. Since the project was announced in May 2008, nothing has happened. Apparently, they have not even been allocated the land for the project by Limitless, the master developer. Yet, they are sitting on 10% of the value of the apartment I booked, and do not even have the courtesy to respond to e-mails, forget about return my money.

See the link below for the full & painful story…

So much for the much vaunted escrow accounts – they are sitting on hundreds of millions of dirhams generating interest for them. WHY on earth would they return the money unless compelled by the government or RERA?
    And yet – responding to genuine issues like this is one of the few ways that Dubai can rebuild it’s credibility in the real estate arena… I do wonder how all this will play out.

5. rb on November 8, 2009 7:02 am

legal option is the best way against such developers … like large no of investors have already done. File in the property court thru a good firm..

6. matthew on January 12, 2010 10:49 pm

So how do you contact this group?

7. angry on March 1, 2010 5:08 pm

ok, lets be proactive… write a letter stating from the 1st moment of your encounter with the projects till what already happened now…and put a bullet note, listing down all the LAWS that have been breached by the properties, and have the copy of the LAWS attached… translate all the documents in arabic, together with the receipts and Sales&purchase agreement…bring it to Land Dept, legal section, and ask them to show u the list of cancelled/ on hold properties. come in group if u can, and push RERA to affirm their action on cancelled projects… follow up everyday if u can….annoy them…thats the only way to deal with them…

8. gulzar ahmed on October 21, 2010 8:37 pm

On 13/10/2008 I had purchased a real estate property in Ajman UAE, the total value price was 810,151/
    I have paid 10% of the sales price, that is 81,015/ as advance payment on 13/10/2008 and started monthly installments upto May 2010 amounting to AED 78,983
    Due to some unavoidable circumtances I am unable to continue these monthly remaining payments and informed this to the Real estate company and asked for any favourable settlement, they gave me the rough estimate of the refund by deducting 60% of the paid ammount and asked me to check if the company’s manager would approve the settlement case. I am continuesly folowing-up of the approval and setllement, Now on 16/10/2010 the gave me a notice which said to pay the unpaid amount other wise they would cancel the agreement the sales manager verbally informed me that there is no refund after the cancellation.
    I would be most thankful to you if you Kindly advise if there is any chance or way to get the refund or settlement done.
    -Your sincerely,Thanking you
    -Gulzar Ahmed Siddiqui
    [email protected]

9. dorisai on January 5, 2011 3:48 am

Gulzar, I contracted to buy unit Jermiah village in 06, they changed the name, size, price and then cancelled the contract. after sold the unit to another, . Kept my money now ,now 5 years later. The bank that I paid into has my money, but keeps it saying the developer has no money iun his account. How could this bank give away my money, not theirs/ .