Click here for the top 10 rankings in the regionOctober 8, 2015 6:09
Yasalam 2010- The national pride of the UAE
Yasalam is back as residents and visitors enjoy a month of free entertainment across Abu Dhabi.
October 1, 2010 9:42 by Rasha Reslan
FLASH Entertainment, the region’s premier live events company today revealed the programme of entertainment for Yasalam 2010; and as with 2009, it will see a non-stop month-long calendar of once-in-a-lifetime experiences inspired by the passion, energy, and glamour of motorsport, as the entire UAE celebrates the 2010 Formula 1™ Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Last year, almost half a million people enjoyed the first ever Yasalam celebrations. This year the FLASH-created programme will bring a wider programme of events based on the three most popular elements of last year – Yasalam Live on Abu Dhabi Corniche, Yasalam Live Across the City, and Yasalam Live on Yas Island.
The Capital will come alive with community programmes in universities and public locations, as well as live events, exhibitions and entertainment on the Abu Dhabi Corniche. Al Sahil Beach on the Corniche will be filled with party goers enjoying free concerts featuring many acts including US superstar Kelis and Lebanese stars Fares Karem and Nancy Arjam. The best part about Yasalam Across the City and Yasalam Live on Abu Dhabi Corniche is that it’s all free to the public. The Yasalam party will culminate on Yas Island in the eagerly awaited After-Race concerts, exclusively for F1™ ticket holders and invited guests.
Today, FLASH revealed that once again Yas Island will be rocking during the race weekend, as hip-hop supremo Kanye West and the legend Prince, add to the Linkin Park line-up, for the three nights of after-race concerts.
FLASH also announced that in 2010, they will be organising a series of after-parties on Yas Island after each concert for the public to enjoy. So, whether you have a race-day ticket or not, there will be some exciting parties going on across the Island featuring DJ’s, acoustic sets and live performances.
Speaking after the launch, Ossama Khoreibi, Chairman of FLASH Entertainment, pointed out the cultural importance of Yasalam to Abu Dhabi and the UAE;
“Yasalam was created to bring the many cultures and nationalities of Abu Dhabi together, to celebrate one of the region’s most significant sporting events. Yasalam remains a vital tool with which to project our growing ambitions as an international entertainment and leisure destination. We once again look forward to another spectacular month of celebrations across Abu Dhabi as we build up to one of our biggest sporting events on November 14th.”
Having launched Yasalam 2010, John Lickrish, Managing Director of FLASH Entertainment touched once again on the variety and scale of the programme:
“Last year’s Yasalam celebrations were quite unlike anything the UAE had ever seen before; with almost half a million people enjoying the four weeks of events. With even more activities, action and energy planned for this year, Yasalam is once again set to light up Abu Dhabi, powered by the passion and energy of the people of the UAE.”
Richard Cregan, CEO of Yas Marina Circuit and Abu Dhabi Motorsport Management, talked about the importance of Yasalam and the race itself, adding;
“Many countries can bring F1™ to their shores, but few cities have truly embraced the glamour, excitement and passion of the sport quite like Abu Dhabi. Yasalam brings this energy to life in every corner of the city, bringing people together across the UAE.”
“This is a historic sporting event for Abu Dhabi and the excitement should be shared by the entire nation, not just those who attend the races.”
Yasalam Live on Abu Dhabi Corniche
There will be a series of free community events on the Abu Dhabi Corniche running from 15th October – 14th November as part of Yasalam Live on Abu Dhabi Corniche.
– The popular F1 Fan Zone™ Abu Dhabi, brought to the city by Mubadala, will once more provide a month of motorsport-flavoured entertainment for the whole family, with a variety of F1™ themed activities at Meydan Al Sahil and at The Mubadala Experience – the interactive, climate-controlled venue on the Abu Dhabi Corniche. The F1™ Fan Zone will also become the venue for live screenings of the final two races of the F1™ season. Opens 28th October.
– Looking back on the highlights of the Grand Prix in the city, Abu Dhabi Galleria will showcase a superb collection of photography to run for one month from 15th October onwards.
– There will be a spectacular celebration of the conclusion of the Formula 1™ in Brazil on 5th November, with a Brazilian Parade to include hundreds of costumed children, performers and entertainers from across the UAE in true Yasalam spirit. The Brazilian Grand Prix will be shown from Nov 5th to 7th at F1 Fan Zone™.
– After the success of last year, Cinema by the Sea is back with even more classic car films. Al Sahil Beach will be transformed to an outdoor cinema showing all-time favourite car films, complete with beanbags, popcorn and candy floss from 28th October – 2nd November.
– From 10th – 13th November onwards and throughout the race weekend, Beats on the Beach will take over the Corniche with four fantastic nights of live music. The free concerts will include a mix of local, regional and international artists such as Nancy Ajram, Kelis and The Cuban Brothers.
Yasalam Live Across the City
In partnership with KHP Consulting, Yasalam Live Across the City will reach out to families and students throughout Abu Dhabi to spread excitement and anticipation ahead of Formula 1™.
– Mastering Motorsport is a community programme designed to give young people a chance to get up close and personal with world renowned F1™ stars and learn about the many careers available to them in the world of motorsport. Sessions will be run at Yas Marina Circuit on 12th and 13th October 2010.
– Corniche Beach Customs -Universities will compete to create the best modified and creatively designed peddle powered rides.
– Interactive Motorsport Zone – Interactive digital display wall providing edutainment for the public on F1, Yasalam 2009 and Yasalam 2010.
– The Art of Racing – The first ever comprehensive motorsport art exhibition by globally renowned F1™ artists specializing in the subject, including internationally acclaimed painters, photographers and sculptors creating an unforgettable F1 collection of international creativity.
Yasalam Live on Yas Island
The programme culminates in Yasalam Live on Yas Island, which will see Kanye West, Linkin Park and Prince performing on Yas Island exclusively for race ticket holders, in what is set to be a terrific way to celebrate the end of the race weekend in Abu Dhabi.
More exclusive announcements, invites and competitions plus many other exciting Yasalam activities are still to be revealed. For the full programme of Yasalam events and activities or for further information see www.yasalam.ae / www.thinkflash.ae.
Yasalam 2010 is supported by Radio 1, Time Out Abu Dhabi, OSN, Marina Mall, Abu Dhabi Media Company and Virgin Megastores.